Arts, culture, heritage
Museums, art galleries, libraries and performing arts and heritage groups need volunteers to continue to enrich our local cultural and artistic life.
Whatever your interest in the arts, culture and our heritage, there is a volunteering role to match.
Council-run libraries, local art galleries, local history and conservation projects need volunteers. You can find your local council using NSW Government's local council search.
In Sydney, volunteers are welcome at:
- Art Gallery of NSW
- Australian Museum
- Epicentre Theatre
- The Historic Houses Trust
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Powerhouse Museum
- State Library
- The Australian National Maritime Museum
- Griffin Theatre Company
- Performance Space
- Sydney Theatre Company
- Blacktown Arts Centre
- Information and Cultural Exchange
In rural and regional areas try searching for local museums or historic societies online or using the directories below:
- Regional Arts NSW
- Regional Galleries
- Collections Australia Network
- Public Library Websites Directory of NSW
Organisations also need help:
- The State Records Office
- Rail Heritage Australia (NSW)
- 3801 Limited
- Australian Railway Historical Society
- Transport Heritage NSW Ltd.
- Kosciuszko Huts Association
- National Trust (NSW)
- Royal Australian Historical Society
Case study - Australian Museum
The Australian Museum has been relying on volunteers since it first opened the doors to the public in 1857.