If you're new to volunteering, consider the follow to help you match your interests and skills to an organisation and role that best suits you.
Questions to ask yourself
- Do you want to use your expertise or try something different?
- Do you want to make volunteering part of a weekly routine or be called on in a crisis, or when needed?
- Do you want to develop new skills or simply lend a hand?
- Would you prefer to work in a team or on your own? Behind the scenes or with the public?
- Do you want to volunteer in one role or a few? With one organisation or more?
- What are your skills, how much time do you have to offer and how much responsibility would you like?
- What area would you enjoy working in?
Consider you options
- Research different organisations to get a feel for what they do and if they suit your interests.
- Start with types of volunteering
and related links on this website.
Try your local volunteering organisations. Ask for the volunteer manager or co-ordinator.
Or try your local council. The Office of Local Government's find my council tool can direct you to your local council website.